NEBULIZER AND NEBULIZER COMPRESSOR INSTRUCTIONS
Your physician has prescribed a breathing machine for your use at home. The following instructions will be explained in detail at time of set up. Please save these general instructions for your reference.
- Connect power cord. (Be sure to use a grounded outlet.)
- Connect all nebulizer and tubing to nebulizer compressor (machine).
- Place medication in nebulizer cup. (If you are not using unit dose medications, mix the medications and then place in nebulizer.)
- Sit in upright position.
- Turn machine/compressor on.
- Place mouthpiece in mouth.
- Begin treatment as instructed by physician, nurse or therapist.
- Treatment is finished when all medication is used. An average treatment is 10-15 minutes.
- After treatment, turn off machine.
- It is recommended that you keep a minimum of one extra nebulizer circuit and some extra filters on hand.
- Follow cleaning instructions carefully.
CLEANING INSTRUCTIONSRINSE AND AIR DRY NEBULIZER CIRCUIT AFTER EACH TREATMENT
- After your last treatment of the day, completely disassemble your tubing and nebulizer circuit.(No need to wash the tubing. It doesn’t contact medication.)
- Wash in hot soapy water (mild liquid dish detergent).
- Use an old toothbrush to scrub water.
- Rinse all parts in clean warm water.
- Soak in solution of 1 part white wine vinegar to 3 parts water for about 10 minutes. (Plastic parts may become tacky if left in solution for more than 10 minutes.)
- Rinse parts under warm running water.
- Shake the parts will and separate to allow drying.
- Tubing must be completely dry before its next use.
Cleaning solution may be re-used for two weeks if kept in a covered container (Tupperware). Dispose of solution after two weeks.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT LEAVE MEDICATION IN NEBULIZER FROM ONE TREATMENT TO THE NEXT. POOR OR INFREQUENT CLEANING CAN CAUSE LUNG INFECTION.